Web negative three point oh
Cyberspace has kind of gotten out of control, you see. I can feel my brain isn't what it used to be. Yes I've gotten older and yes certain circuitry has probably rotted away but it must mean something that I recognize that my brain experiences the world in a less exciting way. Bombarded and overwhelmed with shit. Focus has declined. Passions sputter.
So I'm making a conscious effort to go backwards a little bit before I signed up for Facebook---before the iPhone was released. Back to the years of my little Samsung smartphone. Back to the times when exploring the world wide web was more exciting for me.
I went spelunking through my bookmarks and old RSS feeds to look for signs of life. I used to spend countless hours following music blogs and weird esoteric blogs that led me down unknown paths of enlightenment as a person in his pre-20s. This week I found mostly corpses: deleted blogs/dead links or ones that hadn't been updated since 2011. Some bloggers migrated to other platforms. Some disappeared without a trace---their last post full of comments from followers asking "Where are you/what happened?"
One favorite blog of mine was Jason Willis' ScarStuff where the author posted links to vintage horror/spooky sound records. He also created the best vintage Halloween music compilations rivaling the late great Howie Pyro and his Intoxica Radio program. I think I was able to nab most of the files from ScarStuff before the links started to die. I'll try to share some when it gets closer to Halloween. Though, most of these records can probably be found on YouTube.
Son of Zamboni was another amazing place. Ian Matthews posted file shares of some obscure or hard to find music from all over the genre spectrum. I don't know whatever happened to Ian Matthews.
But there are a few still kicking or posting semi-regularly and as I get my feed organized I'll share some cool things I've come across. I Hate the 90s is still going strong. Highly recommend.
And I'll keep looking and checking these museums to see if anything's alive and I'll try to scavenge for any remnants.
But really why am I doing this? Why am I trying to go backward to an old internet? I guess I liked my brain better back then. I liked the feelings of discovery I got back then. I don't know.
And I want to just share stuff here so once the trans-humanist-anti-natalist-techno-czars finally consume the planet at least there will be these bits of digital binary hurtling into the cosmos for someone else to take a look at.
Comments
Post a Comment